A critique of cgi.escape

Gabriel G gabrielg_laburando at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Sep 26 00:18:57 EDT 2006

At Monday 25/9/2006 11:08, Jon Ribbens wrote:

> >> What precisely do you think it would "break"?
> >
> > existing code, and existing tests.
>
>I'm sorry, that's not good enough. How, precisely, would it break
>"existing code"? Can you come up with an example, or even an
>explanation of how it *could* break existing code?

FWIW, a *lot* of unit tests on *my* generated html code would break,
and I imagine a *lot* of other people's code would break too. So
changing the defaults is not a good idea.
But if you want, import this on sitecustomize.py and pretend it said
quote=True:

import cgi
cgi.escape.func_defaults = (True,)
del cgi