threading support in python

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Sep 4 12:11:39 EDT 2006

Sybren Stuvel wrote:

> km enlightened us with:
>> Is there any PEP to introduce true threading features into python's
>> next version as in java? i mean without having GIL.
>
> What is GIL? Except for the Dutch word for SCREAM that is...

the global interpreter lock, that prevents python from concurrently
modifying internal structures causing segfaults.

>> when compared to other languages, python is fun to code but i feel
>> its is lacking behind in threading
>
> What's wrong with the current threading? AFAIK it's directly linked to
> the threading of the underlying platform.

There exist rare cases (see the link from bayerj) where the GIL is an
annoyance, and with the dawn of MP-cores all over the place it might be
considered a good idea removing it - maybe. But I doubt that is something
to be considered for py2.x

Diez