unicode, bytes redux

Paul Rubin http
Mon Sep 25 04:44:53 EDT 2006

"John Machin" <sjmachin at lexicon.net> writes:
> Actually, what Willie was concerned about was some cockamamie DBMS
> which required to be fed Unicode, which it encoded as UTF-8,

Yeah, I remember that.

> Tell you what, why don't you and Willie get together and write a PEP?

If enough people care about the problem, I'd say just submit a code
patch.  I haven't needed it myself, but I haven't (so far) had to deal
with unicode that often.  It's a reasonably logical thing to want.
Imagine if the normal length(string) function required copying the
string around.