no-installation version of python

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 17:52:46 EDT 2006

Bjoern Schliessmann wrote:
> mr.porteiro.head at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Is there a stand-alone version of python out there that I can
>> package with my scripts so that I don't have to bother with
>> something like py2exe?
>
> Isn't this the exact intention of py2exe?

I think he wants a no-install (or, perhaps more accurately,
simply-unzip-to-install) version of the interpreter that doesn't need to touch
the Windows registry or copy DLLs to system locations. py2exe builds such a
thing (or nearly so) for the application itself, if it works. However, since
py2exe is somewhat fiddly, something like Movable Python might give him most of
the benefits with less effort.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."