Python 2.5 Installation and Tkinter

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 23 02:13:32 EDT 2006

milan_sanremo schrieb:
> cc -shared
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.5/tmp/Python-2.5/Modules/_tkinter.o
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.5/tmp/Python-2.5/Modules/tkappinit.o
> -L/usr/openwin/lib -L/usr/local/lib -ltk8.5 -ltcl8.5 -lX11 -o
> build/lib.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.5/_tkinter.so
>
> Yet, the file exists in /usr/local/lib.  What am I missing?

The system doesn't look in /usr/local/lib when searching for shared
libraries. You have the usual options:

1. Set LD_RUN_PATH at build time to include /usr/local/lib
2. Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH at run time to include /usr/local/lib
3. Use crle to add /usr/local/lib to the system wide search path

Even though it is quite intrusive, I typically prefer to do 3.
That way, I don't have to hard-code library paths into executables,
don't need my users to set environment variables, and have most
autoconf-based software work out of the box.

If you have never used crle before, understand that great care
is necessary in using it. See the EXAMPLES in crle(8). You can
either use -u -l to add a directory at the end of the search
path, or just -l to overwrite the search path; make sure the
original search path is still included.

Regards,
Martin