Is it just me, or is Sqlite3 goofy?

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Tue Sep 12 15:03:18 EDT 2006

On 12 Sep 2006 10:24:00 -0700,
	mensanator at aol.com <mensanator at aol.com> wrote:
> So, knowing that, would you agree that
>
><quote Python Library Reference 13.13>
> If switching to a larger database such as PostgreSQL or Oracle
> is later necessary, the switch should be relatively easy.
></quote>
>
> is misleading if not outright untruthful?

As the original author of that sentence, I don't think it's either
misleading or untruthful; 'relatively easy' gives me wiggle room.
However, to fix your complaint, I've changed the paragraph to read:

	SQLite is a C library that provides a lightweight disk-based
	database that doesn't require a separate server process and allows
	accessing the database using a nonstandard variant of the SQL query
	language. Some applications can use SQLite for internal data
	storage. It's also possible to prototype an application using SQLite
	and then port the code to a larger database such as PostgreSQL or
	Oracle.

Of course, if you accept Fredrik's reading of the SQL standard, the
word 'nonstandard' in the revised text is incorrect; SQLite is
compliant with the standard but in an unusual way.  (But most readers
will interpret "nonstandard" as meaning "not like most other SQL
databases", so I'll let it stand.)

--amk