Survival of the fittest

baalbek rcs at bgoark.no
Tue Sep 26 19:51:43 EDT 2006

I first heard of Python (on a CD cover) back in 1995. I thought, "what
is this? Python? Forget about it!"

Back then, I was a huge fan of the Delphi (Object Pascal) language, and
had immense respect for the C/C++ family.

1997 I got seriously into C++ programming, and thought, "could anything
be cooler than this? Nope!"

I was a late Java starter, but once the fad caught on, Java it was, and
Java it should be! Java would be forever!

Passing through various other languages, Python reappears in 2000. I
even don't remember in what context, but I started to use Python for
serious work in 2001.

Now, six years later, I use Python for about 70-80% of all my work (the
remainder being Ruby and C/C++).

I'm now having the policy: "If it's doable in Python, I'll use Python".

This unassuming scripting language has beaten heavy-weights like Java,
C++, etc, and this without any serious marketing machine behind it.

Why? The language is just so well designed (I miss some of Ruby's
features, but then, nothing is perfect), robust, stable, and with a
humongous amount of libraries, and runs without any modification on all
OS platforms I use.

Just a Python admirer's rant on this beautiful autumn afternoon!

(I do like girls also! But everything in it's due time.)

Baalbek