disgrating a list

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Sep 1 14:14:31 EDT 2006

jwaixs wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How can I disgrate (probably not a good word for it) a list? For
> example:
>
> a = [1,2]
> b = 3
> c = [a] + [b]     # which makes [[1,2],3]
>
> Then how can I change c ([[1,2],3]) into [1,2,3]? I have a simple
> function for this:
> ========================
> def flatten(l):
>        r = []
>        s = [l]
>        while len(s) > 0:
>                i = s.pop()
>                if i.__class__ == list:
>                        for c in i:
>                                s.append(c)
>                else:
>                        r.append(i)
>        return r
> ========================
> But this function isn't really doing it in the "python-way". Doesn't
> have python an obscure function or buildin to do this?

I'm not sure what makes it against "the python-way"...I would
likely just use a "for" loop structure rather than a while loop.
  I would also skip copying the parameter and popping its
elements off.  Lastly, I would use a slightly broader test than
asking if the item is a list (to handle sub-classes, sets,
dictionaries, etc):

 >>> def flatten(x):
...     q = []
...     for v in x:
...             if hasattr(v, '__iter__'):
...                     q.extend(flatten(v))
...             else:
...                     q.append(v)
...     return q
 >>> flatten([1,2,3])
[1, 2, 3]
 >>> flatten([1,2,3, [5,6]])
[1, 2, 3, 5, 6]
 >>> flatten([1,2,3, [5,6, [7,8]]])
[1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8]
 >>> flatten([1,2,3, [5, {1:3,5:1},6, set([7,8])]])
[1, 2, 3, 5, 1, 5, 6, 8, 7]

I'm not sure if '__iter__' is the right thing to be looking for,
but it seems to work at least for lists, sets, dictionarys (via
their keys), etc.  I would use it because at least then you know
you can iterate over it

I don't know of any builtin that will go to arbitrary depths, and
haven't figured out a clean way to do this with any sort of
list-comprehension, reduce/map call, or anything of the like.
The ability to flatten requires recursing down nested data
structures...recursion is something that list comprehensions,
map()/reduce() commands, etc. aren't so good as (at least as far
as I've learned).

-tkc