Query regarding grep!!

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Sep 26 02:31:26 EDT 2006

bhavya sg wrote:

>  I saw in PEP4 of python 2.5 that grep module has gone
> obsolete in perl 2.5. But I am not able to find an
> alternative for that.

the grep module has been deprecated for ages (it's been in the lib-old
non-standard library since at least Python 2.1).  The old grep module
depends on the regex module, which has been deprecated since Python 1.6,
and which was finally removed in Python 2.5.

 > My doubt is "are the other forms of grep like egrep and ggrep be used
 > instead"?

there are no such modules in Python, afaik.

(and that's a question, not a doubt, right?)

if you have Python code that uses the grep module, you can replace it
with something like:

     import re

     def simple_grep(filename, pattern):
         find = re.compile(pattern).search
         for index, line in open(filename):
             if find(line):
                 print filename, index, line[:-1]

where pattern is an RE-style pattern, not a REGEX-style pattern (see the
RE documentation for details).

</F>