unicode, bytes redux

Paul Rubin http
Mon Sep 25 04:14:35 EDT 2006

Leif K-Brooks <eurleif at ecritters.biz> writes:
> It requires a fairly large change to code and API for a relatively
> uncommon problem. How often do you need to know how many bytes an
> encoded Unicode string takes up without needing the encoded string
> itself?

Shrug. I don't see a real large change--the code would just check for
an optional arg and process accordingly.  I don't know if the issue
comes up often enough to be worth making such accomodations for.  I do
know that we had an extensive newsgroup thread about it, from which
this discussion came, but I haven't paid that much attention.