builtin regular expressions?

Antoine De Groote antoine at vo.lu
Sat Sep 30 13:14:27 EDT 2006

Just to get it clear at the beginning, I started this thread. I'm not a
newbie (don't get me wrong, I don't see this as an insult whatsoever,
after all, you couldn't know, and I appreciate it being so nice to
newbies anyway). I'm not an expert either, but I'm quite comfortable
with the language by now. It's just that, when I started Python I loved
it for its simplicity and for the small amount of code it takes to get
something done. So the idea behind my original post was that the
Perl/Ruby way takes even less to type (for the regex topic of this
discussion, I'm not generalizing), and that I like a lot. To me (and I
may be alone) the Perl/Ruby way is more "beautiful" (Python  culture:
Beautiful is better than ugly) than the Python way (in this particular
case) and therefore I couldn't see the reasons.

Some of you say that this regex stuff is used rarely enough so that
being verbose (and therefore more readable ?) is in these few cases the
better choice. To me this a perfectly reasonable and maybe it is just
true (as far as one can talk about true/false for something subjective
as this). I dont' know (yet) ;-)

I just have to learn accept the fact that Python is more verbose more
often than Ruby (I don't know Perl really). Don't get me wrong though, I
know the benefits of this (at least in some cases) and I can understand
that one opts for it. Hopefully I will end up some day preferring the
Python way.

Thanks for your explanations.

Regards,
antoine