Finding dynamic libraries

Bill Spotz wfspotz at sandia.gov
Fri Sep 15 11:04:18 EDT 2006

Hi,

Is there a way to tell an executing python script where to look for
dynamically-loaded libraries?

My situation is that that I am developing python wrappers for a large
software project.  I create python wrappers with swig, and those
extension modules link against dynamic libraries from the project.  I
have many test scripts that I would like to be able to run *prior* to
installing these libraries into a standard location.

I have tried altering the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variables, both by direct assignment of os.environ and by
calling os.putenv(), but neither results in python being able to find
my dynamic libraries.

Thanks in advance

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-5451      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0370    Email: wfspotz at sandia.gov **