Help me use my Dual Core CPU!

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 09:02:22 EDT 2006

[Simon Wittber]

| I write cross platform games in Python, and I'd really like to be able
| to use this second core (on my machine, and on user's
| machines) for any new games I might write.

| I know threads won't help (in CPython at least) so I'm investigating
| other types of concurrency which I might be able to use. I really like
| the PyLinda approach

I find it very elegant. I only wish I had some real-world use for it!

| Is there any cross platform way to share python objects across
| processes? (I've found POSH, but it's old, and doesn't appear to be
| maintained). I could implement my own object space using
| shared memory, but from what I can see, this is not available on
Win32.

There is a bunch of Python sub-industries dedicated to
inter-process cooperation. But I don't know if that's
what you're after. Setting aside the strict shared-memory
option (for which I don't know of a cross-platform solution),
you have -- in particular order:

+ Pyro - http://pyro.sf.net
+ Corba - eg omniorb http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/
+ SPyRO - http://lsc.fie.umich.mx/~sadit/spyro/spyro.html
+ mmap - (built-in module) http://docs.python.org/lib/module-mmap.html
+ twisted - (because it can do everything), esp.
http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/spread
+ Spread - http://www.spread.org/
+ Roll-your-own sockets -
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-SocketServer.html

etc. etc. etc.

But I have the feeling I'm teaching my grandmother... Is that
the kind of thing you were after? Or not?

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk