Building Python Based Web Application

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 8 16:33:50 EDT 2006

Hello All,

I am interested in setting up a modest invoicing system for some
consulting I am doing. I like the idea of managing this on the web and
creating invoices and printing them from a browser. However, I'm not
really sure where to start. I've played with some CMS applications, but
they seem more for blogging (mamba, wordpress, etc.). Ideally, I would
like to interface with mySQL (or whatever the favorite web-flavor
database app is these days). I would like to be able to use my python
skills.

I confident that if I set out to write this from scatch, I will be
seriously re-inventing the wheel, perhaps several times over.

So, my question is, does anyone know of a book and/or some kind of
framework that would make the best sense for what I am describing here?
I've heard of Zope, but I would like to make sure its appropriate for
the job before I spend 2 or 3 days getting acquainted with it. I'm adept
at HTML, python, CSS, python-CGI, and interfacing with mySQL through
DBI. I'm sure I could get something to work with these skills, but I
want to minimize wheel re-invention as much as possible.

Basically, I want a jump start on data-base oriented web development
with a focus on applying my python skills.

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570