Best practice for large source code projects

faulkner faulkner612 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 22 20:24:26 EDT 2006

several of my programs are thousands of lines long, and i don't think
they're extravagantly large.
i'd say you should use modules the same way you use classes and
functions: to separate code logically.
if it makes sense to think of a group of statements as a function, you
make it a function. if it makes sense to think of a group of functions
as data as a single object, you make a class. if it makes sense to
think of a collection of classes and functions and data as a collective
unit, make a module. and so on for packages.
if it makes sense for a single function to be hundreds or thousands of
lines long, so be it.
follow the modern poet's rule: ignore restrictions that don't make
sense, and follow closely the restrictions you choose.