access to xml_rpc server problem

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Sep 21 12:20:34 EDT 2006

Ted Zeng wrote:
> HI,
>
> I run a xml_rpc server like the following:(sample code from internet)
>
> server = SimpleXMLRPCServer.SimpleXMLRPCServer(("localhost", 8000))
> server.serve_forever()
>
> If my client is on the same machine, I use :(also from internet sample
> code)
>
> server = xmlrpclib.Server('http://localhost:8000')
> print server.chop_in_half('I am a confidant guy')
>
> This works fine.
>
> But if I use server's ip address instead of localhost in the client,
> then it could not access the server.
>
> server = xmlrpclib.Server('http://machine_ip_address:8000')
> print server.chop_in_half('I am a confidant guy')
>

> How can my client (runs on other machine) access the server? The server
> runs on a machine with dynamic IP. But my client knows the IP address.

You are explicitly telling your server ONLY to listen on the loopback
interface. Try using an empty string as IP address instead:

server = SimpleXMLRPCServer.SimpleXMLRPCServer(("", 8000))

That will tell it to listen on all interfaces:

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119