sending emails using python

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 7 11:35:28 EDT 2006

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2006-09-07, Tim Williams <tim at tdw.net> wrote:
>

>>>  Wouldn't you use a SMTP client to send email?
>>>
>>>  I would, but I don't use exchange server. :)
>>>
>>> The one exchange server I used in the past didn't accept SMTP
>>> mail.
>>>
>>> errr, I used to admin Exchange, if it does accept SMTP then
>>> how could it function as a live mail server?
>>>
>> Did you mean *doesn't accept* ??
>>

> One presumes he did.
>

>> There are a couple of possibilities at least, of the top of my
>> head:
>>
>> * The IMC / IMS (smtp connector) is located on a different
>>   server within its Exchange organisation, or a DMZ'ed
>>   exchange server that is only used for SMTP.
>>
>> * The server doesn't accept SMTP from local IP ranges, only
>>   from external (ie inbound email)
>>

> I believe it was the latter.  I'm pretty sure there was only
> one server.  When I first started at that company it did accept
> SMTP connections on it's internal network interface.
>

>> Outlook / Exchange clients use MAPI, internal SMTP is only a
>> requirement if you have non-MAPI clients sending email through
>> the server.
>>

> And BOFH was horrified by non-MS software, so he shut off IMAP
> support and SMTP support on the internal network as a way to
> force everybody to switch to Outlook.

I did mean *doesn't accept*, sorry was in a rush...

BOFH?

lol

If he were a better op then perhaps he would be using unix based system
himself and wouldn't be so discriminating... but then you can't hope for
the world with windows only "techies"... although in fairness, Exchange
and Outlook is a great combination...

you could always try ximian's exchange connector for evolution, I
managed to get some emails with that...

but anyway, ot...

Hari Sekhon