PIL cannot open TIFF image in Windows

Iain King iainking at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 11:27:12 EDT 2006

Michele Petrazzo wrote:
> Rob Williscroft wrote:
>
> > I downloaded some test images from:
> >
> >     	<url:http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/images.html>
> >

> I do the same and modified your code for try FreeImagePy and the results
> are:
>
> ok: 41  error: 20       total: 61
>
> Better than PIL, but a lot of problems with
>
> lower-rgb-planar- > 8 and flower-rgb-contig- > 8
>
> IrfanView seem that can load all the images...
>
> > Rob.
>
> Bye,
> Michele

I've been working with tifs a lot, and I've yet to find a perfect
python solution to them.  The usual images to screw things up for me
are jpeg encoded pages.  Best solution I've found is a try/except fall
through:
try:
  open image with PIL
except:
    try:
      open image with FreeImagePy
    except:
      try:
        open image with wxPython
      except:
        fail

Right now my program to compile multipage tiffs no longer does any of
the image work itself - it processes the index file, and then generates
a batch file.  The batch file is a lot of calls to irfanview /append.
I've yet to find a tiff irfanview can't open.

Iain