Hardlinks on NTFS

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 14:46:45 EDT 2006

[Wildemar Wildenburger]
>> I'm thinking of letting my program create hardlinks (or symlinks). I
>> know python allows doing this for ext, reiser and the like, but
>> apparently not for ntfs systems.
>> Is there any package out there that lets me create links in a platform
>> independent way?

[Calvin Spealman]
> Why isn't NTFS handled the same as any other hardlink supporting
> filesystem? Is it a choice or a bug?

None of the above.  It's not the filesystem, it's what the platform C
supports.  POSIX specifies a small pile of standard routines for
manipulating hard and symbolic links, and Python exposes those /when/
they're available.  Microsoft's C supplies none of them.

So it's a question of someone on Windows wanting this enough to
volunteer to write code, tests, and docs, and volunteer to maintain, a
pile of Microsoft-specific code to provide workalike functionality on
Windows.