file system iteration

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Mon Oct 9 10:22:44 EDT 2006

Georg Brandl wrote:
 >> Which application needs to walk over ALL files?

How about 'updatedb' for starters, the index-maintainer for the common
*nix command-line utility 'locate'.

I'm pretty sure that os.walk( ) deals with symbolic links (by not
visiting them) and ' /proc'  type complexities by not doing anything to
walked directories that '/proc' type entries cannot deal with. I think
(no sarcasm intended) the point of offering a directory-like interface
to '/proc' was so one can perform directory-like operations on it.

--

Jonathan Hartley
tartley at tartley.com
+44 7737 062 225