invert or reverse a string... warning this is a rant

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 19 14:54:22 EDT 2006

Paul Boddie wrote:
> James Stroud wrote:
>>(1,2,3).reversed()
>>
>>"123".reversed()
>>
>>[1,2,3].reversed()
 >
> I guess Python 2.5 has the reversed method of which you speak.

Not that I could find (as methods of any built in sequence type). 2.5
just has the "reversed" function that returns and iterator and so 2.5
requires these kind of gymnastics on built in sequences:

> "".join(list(reversed(list(s))))

Of course, I think str.join can operate on iterators, as Paul Rubin
suggests:

 > print ''.join(reversed(x))

This latter approach still seems a little clunky, though.

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570