Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 14:15:42 EDT 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>>> Does this smell "Bitkeeper fiasco" to anyone else than me?
>> No.
>
> that's just not true.  lots of people have voiced concerns over using
> closed-sourced stuff originally designed for enterprise-level Java users
> for an application domain where Python has several widely used agile
> alternatives to chose from.
>
> if they hadn't done so, there probably wouldn't have been an evaluation
> period in the first place.

Sure. But what's the similarity to the fiasco part of the BitKeeper fiasco?
There's no silly non-compete agreement. The client is a generic web browser so
everyone can play. One of the charges of the committee was to make sure that the
data could be extracted easily (something the semi-open Sourceforge didn't do so
well) such that moving would be reasonable should the JIRA folks decided to take
their ball away.

I didn't mean to trivialize concerns about about JIRA in particular or
proprietary systems in general, but using poor analogies as a rhetorical club
seems ill-advised.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."