question about True values

Sat Oct 28 02:28:47 EDT 2006

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 03:13:42 +0100, Steve Holden wrote:

>> Python is not evaluating the truth of the matter, but, as Ms. Creighton
>> would say, the "somethingness" of that which 10 > 5 evaluates to.  (1
>> aka True)
>>
>   >>> type(10>5)
> <type 'bool'>
>   >>>

> It does seem that there is a specific type associated with the result of
> a comparison, even though you would really like to to be "a number with
> a hat on".

Python bools really are subclassed from ints:

>>> issubclass(bool, int)
True

They are ints wearing a Boolean hat. This was a controversial compromise.

>>  >>> (1 > 0) < 1
>> False
>>  >>> 1 > 0 < 1
>> True
>>  >>> 1 > (0 < 1)
>> False
>>  >>> 10 > (0 < 1)
>> True
>>
> I have no idea what you think that you are demonstrating here.

Run through the expressions by hand:

(1 > 0) < 1
True < 1
False

The mere fact that you can compare bools with ints demonstrates that
Python bools aren't "real" Booleans.

>> Finally, while True/False is a good mental mapping for numeric
>> comparisons, take the following:
>>
>>  >>> if "Cliff is a pillar of the open source community":
>> ....	print "thank you"
>> .... else:
>> ....	print "bugger off"
>>
>> bugger off
>>
>> Clearly this is not true.  (Google Cliff/Dyer open source: only 11
>> hits.), but the string is *something* so the if block gets evaluated.
>>
>   >>> if "The above example was bollocks":
>   ...   print "You don't know what you are talking about"
>   ... else:
>   ...   print "Sorry: of course you are perfectly correct"
> You don't know what you are talking about

Cliff is making a point about semantics, and he's absolutely correct about
it, although it is irrelevant since we're talking about two-value logic
not semantics.

--
Steven.