IDE that uses an external editor?

Slawomir Nowaczyk slawomir.nowaczyk.847 at student.lu.se
Sat Oct 14 15:48:22 EDT 2006

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:01:17 -0500
skip at pobox.com wrote:

#>
#>     Slawomir> #> One thing that's kept me from even looking at IDEs is that
#>     Slawomir> #> to the best of my knowledge none of them will integrate
#>     Slawomir> #> properly with external editors like Emacs or vi.
#>
#>     Slawomir> To the best of *my* knowledge, Emacs integrates pretty well
#>     Slawomir> with Emacs, and I suppose vi integrates pretty well with
#>     Slawomir> vi... Or do you mean something else by "IDE"?
#>
#> By IDE I mean "Integrated Development Environment".

Well, I haven't yet seen a definition of "Integrated Development
Environment" which would exclude Emacs...

#> I realize I can do a lot within Emacs/XEmacs, but I suspect with a
#> tool like Eclipse I could do more. However, I don't want to give up
#> the text editing power of Emacs to get it.

I don't know... I have never, personally, used Eclipse, so I cannot
comment on that. It is highly dependent on what you are working on, I
presume.

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?'
Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.