Standard Forth versus Python: a case study

Elizabeth D Rather eratherXXX at forth.com
Mon Oct 16 17:11:34 EDT 2006

proteusguy at gmail.com wrote:
> John you nailed it. I was a big forth fan in the mid-80s but it was
> very clear that you either had to spend a lot of money on proprietary
> systems or do it ALL yourself. Not having any money I was pleased to be
> able to do it all but today, in the age of instant communication and
> collaboration, its not a competitive option in any language. Had forth
> kicked off the open source community about a decade earlier than the
> UNIX folk (in useful terms) I think we'd be living in a much different
> world from a computing perspective. Forth is still cool - but only when
> its for something I wanna do all by myself... :)

Fortunately, modern Forths have quite a lot more functionality than
mid-80's Forths, in terms of application-relevant features, programming
aids, more intelligent compilers, OS (e.g. Windows, Unix) compatibility
and access, etc.  You should really have another look!

Cheers,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth D. Rather   (US & Canada)   800-55-FORTH
FORTH Inc.                         +1 310-491-3356
5155 W. Rosecrans Ave. #1018  Fax: +1 310-978-9454
Hawthorne, CA 90250
http://www.forth.com

applications since 1973."