Python component model

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Oct 12 17:44:16 EDT 2006

Ed Jensen wrote:
> Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> > People who bring up stuff about self and indentation are just showing
> > their ignorance
>
> Ouch.  That stings.
>
> Python's "indentation determines scope" makes it hard for me to discuss
> Python via mediums like IRC and instant messengers.

True, especially with the helpful first line indentation in some
messengers.

> It also makes it hard to quickly jump to the top and/or bottom of
> code blocks in most editors I use on a day to day basis.

I'm not at the cutting edge here: 20j and 20k are the commands (replace
20 with another suitable amount) which help me jump around in my editor
of choice. The other commands which may be more effective just aren't
in my "working set".

> I guess I'm just ignorant.  :(

Don't be too hard on yourself, Ed! I was really referring to people who
make a big advocacy issue out of self (eg. "Python isn't
object-oriented - it has self parameters!") and indentation (eg.
"Python's just like Fortran!"). You're just pointing out the issues
that regrettably make communication of Python programs difficult.

Paul