Access to static members from inside a method decorator?

glen.coates.bigworld at gmail.com glen.coates.bigworld at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 23:18:12 EDT 2006

Thanks for all the help guys ... in almost every way using a metaclass
seems to be the right solution for what I'm trying to do here.  I say
almost because there is one thing that is still confusing me: what is
the most elegant way to provide base-class implementations of methods
that are expected to be overriden by some of the derived classes (or in
the case of metaclasses, the classes that either declare __metaclass__
= Exposed or are derived from such classes).

Here's what I've just knocked out:

import sys

class Exposed( type ):

	def __init__( cls, *args, **kw ):

		# Track marked exposed methods
		cls.s_exposedMethods = []
		for superclass in cls.__mro__:
			for name, meth in superclass.__dict__.items():
				if hasattr( meth, "exposed" ):
					cls.s_exposedMethods.append( name )

		# Add getExposedMethods method
		cls.getExposedMethods = lambda self: self.s_exposedMethods
		cls.bar = lambda self: sys.stdout.write( "bar\n" )

	@staticmethod
	def expose( f ):
		f.exposed = True
		return f

class Process( object ):

	__metaclass__ = Exposed

	@Exposed.expose
	def foo( self ):
		pass

	def bar( self ):
		print "BAR"
		pass

class BotProcess( Process ):

	@Exposed.expose
	def addBots( self ):
		pass

p = Process()
p.bar()

#############

The problem here is that the implementation of 'bar' inside
Exposed.__init__ overrides the implementation of bar() in Process,
which makes sense I guess seeing as Exposed.__init__() is called after
the class has been initialised.  It's not a problem for
getExposedMethods() seeing as it's not overriden by any derived
classes.

So what is the accepted way of doing this?  Do I need two Exposed
classes, one is the metaclass that handles all the static mapping
stuff, and another provides base implementations of methods and is what
is actually derived from? E.g.:

class ExposedMeta( type ):

class Exposed( object ):

class Process( Exposed ):
  __metaclass__ = ExposedMeta

class BotProcess( Process ):

Hmmm ... that seems a bit ugly too.  If I change the assignments in
Exposed.__init__() I guess I can avoid the two-class thing:

  cls.getExposedMethods = getattr( cls, "getExposedMethods", lambda
self: self.s_exposedMethods )
  cls.bar = getattr( cls, "bar", lambda self: sys.stdout.write( "bar\n"
) )

That's better, but still ugly.  Is there a better way?

Thanks for all the help thus far guys,
Glen