Can I use decorators to manipulate return type or create methods?

WakeBdr bbull at optiosoftware.com
Fri Oct 20 09:45:24 EDT 2006

OK, I think I'm close now.  I just can't get past this one error.  Here
is my code, followed by the output produced when I run it.

class Magic(type):
        def __new__(cls, name, bases, d):
                for name, function in d.items():
                        try:
                                function._marked
                                print 'Class: %s' % cls
                                print 'Method: %s' % name
                                def toXML(self, *args, **kwargs):
                                        return
self._toXML(function(self, *args, **kwargs))
                                def toList(self, *args, **kwargs):
                                        return
self._toList(function(self, *args, **kwargs))
                                d[name+'XML'] = toXML
                                d[name+'List'] = toList
                        except AttributeError:
                                #traceback.print_exc()
                                pass
                return type(name, bases, d)

def mark(f):
        f._marked = True
        return f

class test(object):

        def _toXML(self, value):
                return '<xml>%s</xml>' % value
        def _toList(self, value):
                return '<list>%s</list>' % value

class testtest(test):

        __metaclass__ = Magic

        @mark
        def printData(self, data):
                return 'child-%s' % data

t = testtest()
print t.printData('data')
print t.printDataXML('data')
print t.printDataList('data')

Class: <class '__main__.Magic'>
Method: printData
child-data
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test.py", line 43, in ?
    print t.printDataXML('data')
  File "test.py", line 11, in toXML
    return self._toXML(function(self, *args, **kwargs))
TypeError: __new__() takes exactly 4 arguments (3 given)