?Incorrect Configure script?

Christopher Taylor chtaylo3 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 18:52:24 EDT 2006

I'm not sure if this is a problem with python or not.

I'm trying to compile up mod_python to point to /usr/bin/python2.4 (RH
has /usr/bin/python2.3 already installed to I don't want to mess with
/usr/bin/python).  When it gets to linking in
/usr/lib/python2.4/config/libpython2.4.a I get the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/python2.4/config/libpython2.4.a(abstract.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/lib/python2.4/config/libpython2.4.a: could not read symbols: Bad value

I did some poking around and according to Gentoo's website
(http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=3)
it appears that this is due to the fact that libpython2.4.a was not
intially built with -fPIC, which it seems is required for AMD64 (so
I'm assuming it's also required for my intel x86_64).

Is this a bug in the configure script for python or did I just not set
something correctly?

Respectfully,
Christopher Taylor