PEP 358 and operations on bytes

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 3 20:52:27 EDT 2006

Gerrit Holl <gerrit at nl.linux.org> writes:

> operations that aren't currently defined in PEP 358, like:
>
>     - str methods endswith, find, partition, replace, split(lines),
>       startswith,
>     - Regular expressions
>
> I think those can be useful on a bytes type. Perhaps bytes and str
> could share a common parent class? They certainly share a lot of
> properties and possible operations one might want to perform.

Looking at those, I don't see why they wouldn't be useful for *all*
sequence types. Perhaps there needs to be a 'seq' type containing
those common methods, that is the superclass of 'str', 'bytes',
'list', 'tuple' et cetera.

--
 \        "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped."  -- Groucho Marx |
Ben Finney