The Python world tries to be polite [formerly offensive to another language]

Mirco Wahab wahab at chemie.uni-halle.de
Sun Oct 1 06:49:26 EDT 2006

Thus spoke A.M. Kuchling (on 2006-09-30 19:26):
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 09:10:14 +0100,
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>> My God, Perl 6 is going to be even less comprehensible that Perl 5,
>> which was at least usable. Is »=>« really a Perl6 operator? That's too
>> funny!
>
> While we poor Python people have to cope with writing:
> 	d = dict(zip(k, v))
> instead of Perl 6's
>
> But at least the Perl solution is 4 non-whitespace characters shorter...

Didn't I get the joke?

The Perl version would be a hash slice initialization on %dict:

        @dict{ @k } = @v;

Thats it. What is the fuzz all about? I consider 'hyper fatarrow'
(you did't the »=>« get right) just a joke of LW
(he does so sometimes ;-).

Regards

Mirco