Where do nested functions live?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Oct 28 04:09:34 EDT 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I defined a nested function:
>
> def foo():
>     def bar():
>         return "bar"
>     return "foo " + bar()
>
> which works. Knowing how Python loves namespaces, I thought I could do
> this:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'bar'
>
> but it doesn't work as I expected.
>

> where do nested functions live? How can you access them, for example, to
> read their doc strings?

It doesn't "live" anywhere: if I wrote the function

def foo():
     locvar = 23
     return locvar

would you expect to be able to access foo.locvar?

It's exactly the same thing: the statement

     def bar():

isn't executed until the foo() function is called, and its execution
binds the name bar in foo's local namespace to the function that is defined.

regards
  Steve

--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119