Python tools for managing static websites?

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Tue Oct 31 11:24:05 EST 2006

Walter Dörwald <walter at livinglogic.de> writes:

> Chris Pearl wrote:
>
> > Are there Python tools to help webmasters manage static websites?
> >
> > [...]
>
> You might give XIST a try: http://www.livinglogic.de/Python/xist/
>
> Basically XIST is an HTML generator, that can be extended to generate
> the HTML you need for your site. The website
> http://www.livinglogic.de/Python/ itself was generated with XIST. You
> can find the source for the website here:
> http://www.livinglogic.de/viewcvs/index.cgi/LivingLogic/WWW-Python/site/
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Bye,
>    Walter Dörwald

1. If the static page can be autogenerated (e.g., from a data file or
   from an analysis), the best bet is to just write the html directly.
   Typically do as triple quoted text blocks with named variable
   substitutions, then print them with the substitutions filled.  The
   chunks are dictated by the structure of the problem (e.g.,
   functions for beginning and end of html page, for beginning and end
   of a form, for repeating rows in a table, etc.)  Just structure the
   app reasonably and put in the chnks where needed.

   NOTE -  When I first moved from Perl to Python, I thought I'd need
   CGI.pm, so I did cgipm.py:
   http://www.seanet.com/~hgg9140/comp/index.html
   http://www.seanet.com/~hgg9140/comp/cgipm/doc/manual.html

   However, I (and others in this newsgroup) recommend the
   write-directly approach instead.

2. If there must be human-in-the-loop, then it is good to use a markup
   language which can be converted to html (or to other backends).
   Perrl's POD format is one, and I've done that as a Pdx.

   http://www.seanet.com/~hgg9140/comp/index.html
   http://www.seanet.com/~hgg9140/comp/pdx/doc/manual.html

--
Harry George