using mmap on large (> 2 Gig) files

nnorwitz at gmail.com nnorwitz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 23:39:42 EDT 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> sturlamolden schrieb:
>
> > And why doesn't Python's mmap take an offset argument to handle large
> > files?
>
> I don't know exactly; the most likely reason is that nobody has
> contributed code to make it support that. That's, in turn, probably
> because nobody had the problem yet, or nobody of those who did
> cared enough to implement and contribute a patch.

Or because no one cared enough to test a patch that was produced 2.5
years ago (not directed at Martin, just pointing out why the patch
stalled).

  http://python.org/sf/708374

With just a little community support, this can go in.  I suppose now
that we have the buildbots, we can check in untested code and test it
that way.  The patch should be reviewed.