What's the best IDE?

tom arnall kloro2006 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 21:40:33 EDT 2006

Ben Finney wrote:

> "Hakusa at gmail.com" <Hakusa at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> After researching Komodo, I found it's not free. The only funds I
>> have are a college fund, and I can't start diping into that until
>> I'm going to college. Any free AND good IDEs?
>
> Please consider trying Python with a powerful editor, instead of a
> just-for-Python environment. Knowing a powerful editor is a far better
> investment than a complex tool for a single purpose.

Amen.

As an alternative to the IDE straight-jacket you might consider going the
unit-testing/'live code' route, which obviates the need for a debugger and
other clutter found in all of the IDEs i've seen. Also, you might think
about writing your own unit-tester. It's not difficult in python and will
give you a setup tailored to your own tastes. But whatever you do, keep
things simple and light.

--
tom arnall
north spit, ca