3d programming without opengl

Tue Oct 31 03:20:30 EST 2006

"nelson -" <nelson1977 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1526.1162280594.11739.python-list at python.org...
> hi!
>   i want to build up a simple 3d interactive geometry application in
> python. Since i want to run it without 3D acceleration (a scene will
> be quite simple) I was wondering if there was a library in python that
> allow me to build 3D graphic without the need to use OpenGL.... I
> google but i can't find nothing interesting... (the best would be a
> pure python solution)
>
> Thanks,
>  nelson

Here's a page (http://www.vrplumber.com/py3d.py) with links to 73 possible
libraries.

I've played with Slut (http://slut.sourceforge.net/) and it is quite easy to
work with.  Here's a Flash movie (recorded using Wink) of a sphere that I
programmed and rotated about:
http://www.geocities.com/ptmcg/python/sphere1.htm, and here is the program
that created it: http://www.geocities.com/ptmcg/python/vecSlut2.py.txt.

The demos that come with Slut are quite impressive, too.  The Slut project
web page summarizes them here
(http://slut.sourceforge.net/examples/index.html), but the little videos
don't do them justice.

-- Paul