Socket module bug on OpenVMS

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 22 13:58:44 EDT 2006

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> I think everyone can agree that Python shouldn't crash.

Well, it doesn't really crash in a bad way, in my example:
it doesn't work because it simply raises a socket exception all the time.

> Whether Python should propagate other kinds of errors from the underlying
> platform is a harder question though.  At the lowest level interface, it
> seems to me that it _should_ propagate them.  If there is a general way to
> handle them, then a higher layer can be built on top of that lowest level
> which does so.

We already have a low-level "_socket" module (builtin) and a higher level
"socket" module (implemented in python in the std lib)...
I could imagine that the "socket" module would offer methods that can deal
with platform bugs such as the two I mentioned in my original posting.

I have never used _socket directly by the way (and don't think anyone
else ever did?)

--Irmen