Where is Python in the scheme of things?

Carl Trachte janencarl at aznex.net
Wed Oct 4 21:04:07 EDT 2006

I came from a VB/VBA environment before using Python.  My experience has
been that Python has a lot more free, pre-coded tools within its community
to do the sort of things I do in my job (geometric algorithms, date-time
functions, processing and accessing lists of items, scientific programming,
etc., etc.).  The main strength of VB6 was its ease in dragging and dropping
stuff to make a graphical user interface (GUI).  The main strength of VBA is
that a lot of people know it and it interfaces with the Excel spreadsheet
software nicely (except when Windows is acting up, but that's another
story).  Tkinker took some getting used to.  I've dabbled with wxPython a
bit.  After an initial learning curve, the tools aren't that hard to use,
and they both have modules for pre-made widgets (window items) like PMW for
Tkinter.

The module system, I find, is almost always a step up from dealing with
VB/VBA's DLL's.  "DLL hell" is real, especially for someone coming into a
programming environment for the first time.

My last point is a bit controversial.  You will get smarter faster and
cheaper in the Python community.  It's not that there aren't smart people in
the (classic) VB community.  It's just that there are a lot of people in
that community that never programmed in any other language, people that
think that learning a Unix based system is too much to ask from an employer,
people that believe that the GUI is the quality center and most critical
part of the program, and that the backend is an afterthought.  I wish I were
being cynical or exaggerating, but I'm not.  Hanging out around the Python
community will make you a better VB, dotNet (C#), or C++ programmer, even if
you go with one of those as your language of choice.

My 2 cents.

Carl Trachte

news:I4GdnY3G96ZZirnYnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d at magma.ca...