Install from source on a x86_64 machine

Christopher Taylor chtaylo3 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 12:11:37 EDT 2006

Hello all,

Being relatively new to linux I'm a little confused about what options
I need to use to build python from source.

Currently, I have python installed as part of the inital RHEL4 load
located at /usr/bin/Python and /usr/bin/Python2.3 .  Some of the files
are located in /usr/lib64/Python2.3 and in /usr/lib/Python2.3 .
Please let me know if you need dir lsitings.

I'm trying to compile from source and plan on using the
--enable-unicode=ucs4 option for the configure script due to some RHEL
messing around with Tcl/Tk.

*** How do I get make altinstall to put the appropriate files in
/usr/lib64/Python2.4 and /usr/lib/Python2.4 respectively ? ***

Respectfully,
Christopher Taylor