Subclassing built-in classes

Maric Michaud maric at aristote.info
Fri Oct 6 05:58:21 EDT 2006

Le jeudi 05 octobre 2006 20:24, Steve Holden a écrit :
>   >>> class mystr(oldstr):
>   ...   def __new__(*a, **kw):
>   ...     print "called:", a, kw

you don't return the string here...

>   >>> import __builtin__
>   >>> __builtin__.str = mystr
>   >>>
> Readline internal error
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\readline\Console.py", line 644,
> in hook_wrapper_23
>      raise TypeError, 'readline must return a string.'

...It should explain this error.

> So, what are you trying to say? The type of the literal strings is
> clearly just what it always was. Where, when and how exactly does this
> magical monkey patch affect literals?

ooops, maybe we aren't on the same plan.

As the first post said "...couldn't python (in theory)...", I was discussing
if it would be possible for python (in some future version) to manage the
literals so that they use the constructors in the __builtin__ module, I
didn't say it works actually (I'm aware it's not the case).

--

Maric Michaud

Aristote - www.aristote.info
3 place des tapis