invert or reverse a string... warning this is a rant

Brad rtilley at vt.edu
Thu Oct 19 20:07:27 EDT 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Gah!!! That's *awful* in so many ways.

Thanks... I'm used to hearing encouragement like that. After a while you
begin to believe that everything you do will be awful, so why even
bother trying?

<rant>

It has been my experience that Python has discouraging forums with
someone always calling someone else an idiot or telling them they are
awful in some way. I love Python, but the community is way too negative,
uptight and generally down on users who do not have PhD's in CS or Math.

Do you have children? How would your child feel if he brought you
something he had made and you then told him it was awful in *sooo* many
ways. How does that reflect on you and the community you represent?

Cut people who don't think like you some slack, OK?

</rant>

> (1) The name is bad. "invert" is not the same as "reverse". Here's an
> invert: 1/2 = 0.5. Your function falsely claims numbers aren't invertable.

Dictionary.com
invert = to reverse in position, order, direction, or relationship.

It matters not that a sequence is thought of as being from left to
right, top to bottom or right to left, does it? Read the sequence as you
normally would (however that may be) and then invert it or read it in
reverse to begin with.

I apologize for bringing this up. Thanks for your time.