regular expressions in the pexpect module for python

Mark Devine mfmdevine at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 10:43:35 EDT 2006

Hi
I wonder if you can help me. I am using pexpect with python to access remote
machines and run commands on them. I pass commands into code like so:

def cmd(self, cmd):
        pp=[ "|", "]", "[", "(", ")", "$", "?", "*", ".", ":"]
        expcmd=cmd
        for element in pp:
            expcmd=expcmd.replace(element, "\\%s" % element)
        self.spawn.setecho(False)
        self.spawn.sendline(cmd)
        self.spawn.expect (expcmd)
        self.spawn.expect(self.prompt)
        return self.spawn.before

The above code is supposed to match the command, then match the prompt and
then return what is in between. Since pexpect uses regular expressions to
match what it sees