Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Oct 4 02:13:14 EDT 2006

Paul Rubin schrieb:
> "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:
>> It is a fork of an old version. Existence of this version hasn't helped
>> a bit when we tried to get our data out of sf.net.
>
> Yeah, I'd guessed it might be a fork.  Is there stuff in sf.net that a
> web robot can't retrieve?

We ended up getting the data with a web robot. There were two problems:
1. SF times out all the time, and fetching the data takes quite some
   time (not sure how long Fredrik Lundh needed, but I recall that
   Richard Jones once needed several days to get all data). There
   is also the theory that SF will lock out clients that fetch data
   at a too-high rate, so when you get locked out, you need to wait
   some time until you can continue; what rate is acceptable is
   not documented.
2. The web view gets HTML wrong in many places; things are rendered
   as HTML entity references when really the character should be
   displayed itself; non-ASCII characters don't work well. It might
   be that having the raw data would allow for better quality.

There used to be another problem that SF was inconsistent on displaying
user names (sometimes, account names were displayed, and sometimes
real names), but that seems not to be a problem anymore.

Regards,
Martin