Observation on "Core Python Programming"

John Coleman jcoleman at franciscan.edu
Sun Oct 29 16:18:59 EST 2006

A is not ommitted from DBECAFG - it just appears in a non-standard
order. If the book simply ommitted functions then it would be a
shocking ommission. As it is, it is just a curious way of sequencing
topics. Functions are in chapter 11 out of 23 chapters - sounds like
the "core" of the book to me.

Chun does emphasize the first-class status of functions in Python -
something which is fairly important to me since I have dabbled on and
off with functional programming the last few years (mostly SML) and am
interested in seeing the extend to which Python is genuinely
"multi-paradigm" - able to blend the functional and imperative (and OO)
paradigms together.

-John Coleman