Request for recommendations: shared database without a server

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Thu Oct 5 16:45:32 EDT 2006

EP wrote:
> I need to build a fairly simple application that will reside on remote
> storage, not on a server, and I am looking for any best practices and
> approaches that have worked for others.  I believe py2exe may be part
> of the solution.  Here's what I need to build:
>
> --  A database application on a network drive
> --  A variety of users will access the database application at various
> times
> --  All computing is done on the client machines (Windows XP), as there
> is no server
> --  I'll not be able to install a database program, or Python, on the
> client machines
>
> While this seems just the sort of application servers were designed
> for, the absence of a server is a firm constraint (no technological
> reason, just an arbitrary wall of infinite height)
>
> I currently have some of the required database tables populated in
> MySQL, but I can migrate them as long as I have SQL capabilities in the
> new database.
>
> Can I get there with MySQL?  Or do I need to pair a pure python
> approach (including the database) with py2exe?  Has anyone achieved
> this with a db framework like Dabo?  Or is there another, entirely
> different and better approach?
>

> The common wisdom around the halls is to just use MS Access, because
> apparently everyone has that on their client machines, or can be
> asked/expected to install it.  That's not my preference, but I need to
> forget my biases, be pragmatic and get the application done.
>
> Thanks for any advice
>

> EP

So what is going to be holding the "network drive" if it isn't a server?
And what is MySQL running on?

Isn't it 'odd' that you can expect people to install MS Access but not
some other program?

I had to use only "existing" database tools, and the data wasn't
too large or too complicated I would use ODBC to dBase file which
is built into all versions of Windows that I'm aware of.  I think
you would find that it would work for small number of users.  With
some good planning you should also be able to architect application
so that you can even change the underlying database later without
too much heartburn.

-Larry Bates