Socket module bug on OpenVMS

Jean-François Piéronne jf.pieronne at laposte.net
Tue Oct 24 05:34:12 EDT 2006

Irmen de Jong wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
[snip]
>> Perhaps you had some different work-around in mind?
>
> Nope, I was indeed thinking about splitting up the recv() into
> smaller blocks internally.
> Maybe a more elaborate check in Python's build system (to remove
> the MSG_WAITALL on VMS) would qualify as some sort of work-around
> as well. Although that would not yet solve the errors you get when
> using too big recv() buffer sizes.

I have contact some guys from HP, unofficial reply is if it's not
documented it's not supported... Why it's defined in socket.h may be
because the TCP/IP stack from HP on OpenVMS is a port of the Tru64 Unix
stack and the flag was present in Tru64.
We will also investigate if the behaviour on OpenVMS when you use
MSG_WAITALL is broken or not.

So I will, in a forthcoming kit don't export this symbol under OpenVMS
(if it's not documented it's not supported).
I have also take a look at the problem of using big recv() buffer and
found a bug when the buffer size is > 32767, only the first 32767 bytes
are read, this will be also fixed in the next kit (only Python 2.5).

I expect to have a new kit which include all these fixes be available
before the end of the week.

JF