Simple but fast 2D lib for drawing pixels

davelist at mac.com davelist at mac.com
Sun Oct 1 19:23:48 EDT 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 6:28 PM, Peter Mexbacher wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we want to teach absolute programming newbies
> a first language, so they can start programming
> simple scientific models.
>
> We thought Python would make a good choice for
> a first language; but where pretty stumped when
> we found out that there is no simple way to draw
> pixels to a screen. (This is needed for fractals,
> agent-based models etc -> like Conways Game of Life)
>
> Our requirements:
>
> -) easy to learn (newbs!)
> -) not too slow (after all, the models should simulate something)
> -) python :-)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Best Regards,
> Peter

You might check out John Zelle's Python book - he uses a simple
graphics library on top of Tk (which Python comes with). You can find
information on his book and the graphics.py file he uses at:

http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python/

It certainly meets your easy to learn and Python requirements - and
of course speed is subjective so it may or may not be fast enough for
you.

Dave