[wxPython-users] Re:

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Wed Oct 25 11:39:57 EDT 2006

Michael S <msherman77 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If I create a threading.Thread derived class, and run
> the wxPython code in the main thread; using a lock,
> will I be able to suspend the Thread, even though it
> will run the C code, which is essentially a while loop
> looping through millions of lines of a text file?

If all your C code is doing is looping through lines in a text file, you
can rewrite it fairly reasonably in Python via 'for line in open(fn):'.

In terms of locks, you have to use a lock that can be acquired by either
thread (GUI or C), but that won't necessarily give you what you want;
the GUI thread in wxPython may still not like being called directly.

If you want the ability to easily restart your C code, you may want to
consider at least looking at the following page on coroutines in C:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/coroutines.html .  It would
allow you to do all of your GUI manipulation/updating in Python without
having to worry about locks or calling Python code from C.

 - Josiah