A Comparison Of Dynamic and Static Languiges

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Oct 22 03:56:54 EDT 2006

sturlamolden wrote:
> Gerrit Holl wrote:
>

>>This newsgroup is mirrored by a mailing-list, so many people use their real
>>address. The solution to spam is spamfiltering (spambayes), not hiding ones
>>address on the internet.
>

> The answer to spam here in Norway is incredibly simple. It seems that
> all spam originates in the US or South Korea. The following filter can
> thus be applied:
>
> 1. Create a white-list of all valid contacts in the US.
> (There is no need to create a white list for Korea, as it will be empty
> anyway.)
>
> 2. Do a reverse nslookup of the sender on zz.countries.nerd.dk. If the
> return value is 127.0.3.72 or 127.0.1.154, and the sender is not in the
> whitelist, flag the mail as spam.
>
> 3. Accept all other mail.
>
> Do you think spambayes can beat this filter?

Since network 127 is reserved in its entirety for loopback (local
process) use, it would seem that any DNS name that maps to an address in
that space with the single exception of "localhost" should be treated as
a spammer.

If you only receive spam from the USA and Korea then consider yourself
lucky. Your "solution" is simplistic beyond belief. Are you *sure* you
know in advance all potential senders from the USA? I'm (currently) in
the UK, but sending via a .com domain that operated through a server in
the USA. Where am I "from".

I suspect your posting may have been a troll.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119