python GUIs comparison (want)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Oct 25 04:19:54 EDT 2006

Christophe wrote:

>>> Also, the Tkinter API is far less elegant than the others.
>> huh?  create object, display object, create object, display object. sure
>> looks like plain old Python to me...
>
> Let's see :
>
> .pack(side = "left")
>
> fred = Button(self, fg = "red", bg = "blue")
> fred["fg"] = "red"
>
> fred.bind("<Enter>", turnRed)
>
> Yep, unelegant API I mantain

yuck.  if that's the kind of UI programs you're writing, we sure have
different design ideals.

and arguing that Tkinter is unelegant when you're doing silly things in
a silly way is a bit like arguing that Python is unelegant because your
first attempt to write a "hello world" program resulted in:

      import sys
      # .stdout.write("Hello World") # gives unusable error message
      from sys import stdout as glah
      glah.writelines(iter(" ".join(["h3110", "W0rlD"])))

> And no modern layout manager available. Only those old school
> left/right/up/down pack and anchors are available.

huh?  when did you last look at Tk?  1994?

</F>